DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2349-3291.ijcp20184183

Universal hearing screening of newborn to detect hearing loss and aid in early intervention: multicentre study

Kamal K. Yenamandra, Pankaj K. Sahu, Anil Kumar, N. Rai, Pankaj K. Thakur

Abstract


Background: Significant hearing loss is one of the most common major abnormalities present at birth. Screening for hearing loss in new-born is based on two concepts. First, a critical period exists for optimal language skills to develop, and Second, earlier intervention produces better outcomes.

Methods: A two-stage screening protocol, in which new-born are screened first with two staged Transient Evoked Oto-acoustic Emissions TEOAE, using handheld TEOAE device, followed by confirmation with Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR). The objective was to study the incidence of hearing impairment in “healthy” and “high risk‟ newborns. A prospective observational study of hearing impairment screening was conducted on 4400 newborns, the study was done as a multi-centre study in 3 different hospitals during January 10 - December 14.

Results: 4400 new born, born during the study period were screened, which included 4162(94.7%) healthy neonates and remaining 238(5.3%) high risk neonates. 24 newborn among the cohort of 4400, had hearing impairment confirmed by ABR. The overall incidence of hearing impairment is 5.45/ 1000 screened with 95 % confidence interval between 4.28-11.6. Incidence of hearing impairment in the "no risk‟ group was 2.4/1000 with 95 % confidence interval between 2.01- 4.66. Whereas incidence of 58.8/1000 with 95 % confidence interval is between 1.96-10.32 was seen in "at risk‟ group. Also, this study shows Universal hearing screening of newborns with a two staged screening protocol using TEOAE followed by confirmation with ABR is not only cost effective for detection of hearing loss but also aids in early intervention.

Conclusions: The incidence of hearing impairment in our study (5.45 per 1000) is much higher than results shown in previous studies and national average of 4/1000.


Keywords


Neonate, Universal hearing screening, Transient evoked otoacoustic emissions

Full Text:

PDF

References


Yoshinaga-Itano C, Sedey AL, Coulter DK, Mehl AL. Language of early and later-identified children with hearing loss. Pediatr. 1998;102:1161-71.

National Institute of Health Consensus Development Conference statement. Early identification of hearing impairment in infants and young children. 2. NIH Consensus Statement. 1993:111-24.

Deka RC, Deka D, Kacker SK. Maturation of cochlea, auditory nerve and brainstem as observed by auditory brainstem evoked potentials in human infants and children. Indian J Otolaryngol. 1986;38(2):56-8.

American Academy of Pediatrics. Newborn and infant hearing loss: detection and intervention. J Pediatr. 1999;103:527-30.

Northern JL, Hayes D. Universal screening for infant hearing impairment: necessary, beneficial and justifiable. Audiol Today. 1994;6(2):1-4.

Bantock HM, Croxson S. Universal hearing screening using transient otoacoustic emissions in a community health clinic. Arch Dis Childhood. 1998;78(3):249-52.

Watkin PM, Baldwin M, McEnery G. Neonatal at risk screening and the identification of deafness. Arch Dis Child. 1991;66:1130-5.

Paul AK. Early identification of hearing loss and centralized newborn hearing screening facility-the Cochin experience. Indian J Pediatr. 2011;48(5):355-9.

Nagapoornima P, Ramesh A, Srilakshmi, Suman Rao, Patrica P L. Universal hearing screening. Indian J Pediatr. 2007;74:545-54.

Mehl AL, Thomson V. The Colorado newborn hearing screening project. On the threshold of effective population-based universal newborn hearing screening. Pediatr. 2002;109:E7.

Principles and guidelines for early hearing detection and intervention programs joint committee on infant hearing. Pediatr. 2007;120(4):898-921.

Joint Committee on Infant Hearing. Year 2007 position statement: principles and guidelines for early hearing detection and intervention programs. Pediatr. 2007;120(4):898-921.

Joint Committee on Infant Hearing. American Academy of Audiology, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and Directors of Speech and Hearing Programs in State Health and Welfare Agencies: Year 2000 position statement: principles and guidelines for early hearing detection and intervention programs. Pediatr. 2000;106:798-817.