DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2349-3291.ijcp20200101

Clinico-aetiological profile and outcome patterns of neonatal seizures at a tertiary care centre

Vijay Agrawal, Dhan Raj Bagri, J. N. Sharma, Roop Singh

Abstract


Background: Neonatal seizures are a major risk factor for neonatal mortality and subsequent neurological disability. The incidence of seizure varies from 1.5-3.7/1000 live birth; while in NICU it can be up to 5/1000 live birth.

Methods: This Descriptive type of observational study aimed to study clinical profile, aetiology in neonatal seizures and short term outcome was done in all Neonatal units attached to paediatric Department of SMS Medical College, Jaipur.

Results: In the 100 cases Majority of neonates had onset of seizure <3 days (<72 hours) 53% and remaining 47% neonates had onset of seizure >3 days (>72 hours). Most common type of neonatal seizure was subtle(75%), other types were tonic seizure (17.3%), clonic seizure (5.1%) and least common type was myoclonic (2.5%). Most common cause of neonates seizure noted was birth asphyxia (73%) second common cause is pyomeningitis and third common cause is hypoglycaemia. Most common cause of neonatal seizure both in full term (71.17%) and preterm (25%) is birth asphyxia. Second most common cause of neonatal seizure in full term is pyomeningitis (8.70%) and in preterm is pyomeningitis and hypoglycaemia (25%). Most common cause of neonatal seizure both in onset of seizure <3 days (<72 hours) 53% and in onset of seizure >3 days (>72 hours).

Conclusions: Out of total 100 cases, neonates with normal birth weight 92% and low birth weight 8%. Majority of neonates had onset of seizure <3 days (<72 hours) 53% and remaining 47% neonates had onset of seizure >3 days (>72 hours). Majority of neonates with seizure delivered by vaginal route (86%) and remaining 14% neonates were delivered by LSCS.


Keywords


Birth asphyxia, Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, Neonate, Seizures

Full Text:

PDF

References


Talebian A, Jahangiri M, Rabjee M, Alavi NM, Akbari H, Sadat Z. The etiology and clinical evaluations of neonatal seizures in Kashan, Iran. Iran J Child Neurol. 2015;9(2):29-35.

Sadeghian A, Damghanian M, Shariati M. Neonatal Seizures in a Rural Iranian District Hospital: Etiologies, Incidence and Predicting Factors. Acta Medica Iranica, 2012;50(11):760-4.

Arpino C, Domizio S, Carrieri MP, Brescianini S, Sabatino G, Curatolo P. Prenatal and perinatal determinants of neonatal seizures occurring in the first week of life. J Child Neurol. 2001;16(9):651-6.

Dennis J. Neonatal convulsions: aetiology, late neonatal status and long‐term outcome. Develop Med Child Neurol. 1978;20(2):143-58.

Keen JH, Lee D. Sequelae of neonatal convulsions. Study of 112 infants. Arch Dis Childhood. 1973;48(7):542.

Kuti BP, Oseni SB, Owa JA. Pattern, etiological factors and determinants of mortality among sick newborns with seizures in Ilesa, Nigeria. J Pediatr Neuroscie. 2015;10(3):227.

Ghanshyambhai P, Sharma D, Patel A, Shastri S. To study the incidence, etiology and EEG profile of neonatal seizures: a prospective observational study from India. J Maternal-Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016;29(4):554-8.

Clancy RR, Legido A. Postnatal epilepsy after EEG‐confirmed neonatal seizures. Epilepsia. 1991;32(1):69-76.

Sahana G, Anjaiah B. Clinical profile of neonatal seizures. Intern J Med Applied Sci. 2014;3(1).

Sabzehei MK, Basiri B, Bazmamoun H. The etiology, clinical type and short outcome of seizure in Newborns hospitalized in Basat hospital, Hamadan, Iran. Iran J Child Neurol. 2014;8(2):24-8.

Parvin R, Salim AF, Rahman M, Chowdhury K, Sultana A, Ahmed S, et al. Neonatal Seizures: Correlation between Clinico-Etiological Profile and EEG Findings. Bangl J Child Health. 2014;38(1):19-23.

Moayedi AR, Zakeri S, Moayedi F. Neonatal seizure: etiology and type. Iran J Child Neurol. 2014;2(2):23-6.

Lanska MJ, Lanska DJ, Baumann RJ, Kryscio RJ. A population-based study of neonatal seizures in Fayette County, Kentucky. Neurol. 1995;45(4):724-32.

Ronen GM, Penney S, Buckley D, Streiner DL. Long-term prognosis in children with neonatal seizures: a population-based study. Neurol. 2007;69:1816-22.

Ronen GM, Rosales TO, Connolly M, Anderson VE, Leppert M. Seizure characteristics in chromosome 20 benign familial neonatal convulsions. Neurol. 1993;43(7):1355.

Volpe JJ. Neonatal Seizures, Neurology of the newborn, 5th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier; 2008:203-244.

Das D, Debbarma SK. A Study on Clinico-Biochemical Profile of Neonatal Seizure. J Neurol Res. 2016;6(5-6):95-101.

Menkes JH, Sarnat HB. Child Neurology, 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincot William & Wilkins; 2005:991-995.

Kumar A, Gupta A, Talukdar B. Clinico-Etiological and EEG Profile of Neonatal Seizures. Ind J Pediatr. 2007;74(l):33-7.

Bridgers SL, Ebersole JS, Ment LR, Ehrenkranz RA, Silva CG. Cassette electroencephalography in the evaluation of neonatal seizures. Archives Neurol. 1986;43(1):49-51.

Kliegman RM, Behrman RE, Jenson HB, Stanton BF. Neelson Text Book of Pediatrics, 18th ed.; 2007:2471-2473.

Tekgul H, Gauvreau K, Soul J, Murphy L, Robertson R, Stewart J, et al. The current etiologic profile and neurodevelopmental outcome of seizures in term newborn infants. Pediatrics. 2006 Apr 1;117(4):1270-80.

Bradley WG, Daroff RB, Fenichel GM, Jankovic J. Neurology in Clinical Practice. 4th ed. Butterworth Heinemann: Elsevier; 2003:2512-2514.